By Rosie Main
Celery juice is hot right now! It’s trending, but juicing has been around for hundreds of years. This juice is a powerhouse for 5 big conditions you may be dealing with, and it’s cheap!
- Repairs the gut –Celery juice is capable of detoxing and flushing the digestive system and liver. It’s also a form of laxative so it’ll help get your system going. How does it repair the gut? Hydrochloric acid gets destroyed withthe amount of sugar we consume and protein we need to process. All that junk ends up sitting in your gut, causing issues like acid reflux, heartburn, constipation and diarrhea. Celery juice levels out the hydrochloric acid inside your stomach.
- Supportsbones and joints –Celery juice is full of mineral salts. These salts are really good for the bones and the joints because they break down the salts and the minerals that build up and make you stiff and tight (especially in the morning). It’s very high in calcium, which is definitely going to help those bones, and also full of silicon, which is a necessity to sustain strong bones.
- Cleans your blood –Celery juice contains high amounts of magnesium and iron and things your blood needs to function on a normal basis. It also clears the blood so it doesn’t clot up and get sticky. Celery juice also supports thenervous system. The amount of stress you’re under and how much you sit (damage to the spine) in turn damages the nervous system. These minerals help the nervous system conduct at a higher level.
- Detoxifies –Celery juice detoxes and pulls out all of the junk in your system and is a natural diuretic due to the high amounts of potassium and sodium. The potassium/sodium balance inside your body is what may cause swelling and fluid retention within the body and cause jointstiffness. We are not getting enough potassium in food, so getting a simple vegetable (like celery) and juicing it will level it out and balance it for you. Additionally, we all need some alkaline fluids going into our body to remove the acidity that builds up (stiffness in the joints). Keeping in mind, you shouldn’t ONLY drink alkaline fluids because you’ll mess up your stomach; celery juice is very alkaline and can help with that acidity.
- Fights inflammation –Inflammationis the cause of 98 percent of all diseases, as stated by an article in Time Magazine. It’s the cause of symptoms related to heart diseases, cancers, Alzheimer’s and more. Celery juice has two major bioflavonoids that are very powerful at reducing inflammation: luteolin and polyacetylene. They shut down cytokines in your body that produce inflammation. These two bioflavonoids have been shown to reduce one of the cytokine productions, and the enzymes that make it, by up to 90 percent. That will put a fire out! So celery juice is a powerful anti-inflammatory.
So there you have it…5 organ systems that are affected, just by juicing a $2 stalk of celery.
Rosie Main, D.C., owns Main Health Solutions at 2300 W. Everest Lane, Suite 175, in Meridian. She is also the host of Maximized Living Radio on 94.1 The Voice and KIDO 580 AM. For more information, visit www.MaximizedLivingDrMain.com.